Safe, pure, and clean drinking water is increasingly becoming a grave concern to the civilization. A lot of minerals that are available naturally in water are essentially important to the human body but an excess of those minerals can cause harm to the body. And an increasing environmental pollution in terms of increase in greenhouse gas, industrial pollution, air pollution, and soil pollution all ultimately lead to polluting the drinking water. Given this persisting situation, it is a serious concern to obtain pure and safe drinking water.
What is a water purifier?
A water purifier is a mechanical device that removes impurities such as undesirable chemicals, the suspended solid particles, the gases, and the biological contaminants like the microbes from the raw water and produces the good quality of consumable drinking water.
How does a water purifier work?
A water purifier works on a mechanical principal; first, it sucks up the contaminated raw water. It filters the impurities such as excess salts, suspended particles, and kills microbes including different viruses and bacteria. In some water purifier, chemicals are used whereas in others, electrostatic charges are used to kill or capture the germs. Following are the different types of water filter available in the market:
- Active Carbon Filter — It purifies the soluble gases such as carbon monoxide, chlorine, ammonia, nitrogen and organic materials like dead algae and soluble dead things. The charcoal of water filter absorbs chlorine and other pollutants like pesticides. Usually, a carbon filter comes with silver that kills bacteria.
- Reverse Osmosis (RO) Filters — This filter offers a multistage filter process. The tap water is allowed to pass through a polymer film membrane with small-sized pores which weeds out the minerals and microbes from the water. The impurities so obtained are flushed out through the outlet pipe. An RO water purifier, no doubt improves the test of the water but the quality of water may have a doubt if there is a hole as a manufacturing defect through which bacteria can get through the filter. The RO filter, however, is recommended where a high amount of dissolved minerals are present in the water.
- Ultra Violet (UV) Filters — In this mechanism, a minimum level of UV radiation is passed through water to kill the bacteria and other microorganisms that are present in the water. The UV filter removes 99% pesticides from the water. This type of filter is very effective for removing any type of pathogens but not to that extent effective to remove the suspended solid particles, chemicals, and other physical conditions such as smell, taste or color present in the water.
What to look while choosing a water purifier
Following factors are needed to be considered while purchasing a water purifier:
- Level of contaminations present in water in your locality is the prime factor of consideration for choosing a water purifier. A water purifier mechanic who services the water purifiers in that area can guide you best for a purchase consideration of right water purifier.
- Shortlist the brand of water Purifiers that you need available in the market, compare them with respect to price and aftersales services and make a decision for purchase and install the water purifier in the house.